'Ahi Poke Hawaiian-Style #1
Recipe of the Week - 'Ahi Poke Hawaiian-Style #1
Serves 4 to 6 as appetizer
This dish typifies contemporary Hawaiian style. It blends traditional Hawaiian ingredients ('ahi, Hawaiian salt, limu kohu) with Asian touches (shoyu, sesame oil) to create a multi-cultural blend of flavors. I've always maintained that Hawai'i is at the crossroads of the culinary universe; this simple but tasty dish is case in point.
- 1 pound sashimi-grade 'ahi, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 medium-size tomato, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons shoyu
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, OR 1 Hawaiian chili pepper, trimmed and minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped for garnish
PREPARATION: Combine the 'ahi, tomato, onion, shoyu, sesame oil, sugar, and the red chili pepper flakes or minced chili pepper. Mix well. Allow flavors to blend for 1 hour before serving. Garnish with the chopped green onion before serving.